January 5, 2012

Construction Site Cake

My little boy just turned three on New Years Day.  Since we have the celebration from the holidays still coercing through our blood I usually don't do much for his birthday besides a cake and presents.  This year he is fascinated by Bob the Builder and Construction Equipment, or "diggers" as we call them.  My mom was already giving him little diggers for his birthday present so I decided to use them on the cake instead.
 

 I stacked two 9" white cakes and frosted them with white frosting (we are a white cake family!) I then took kit kat candy bars and cut them in half and put them around the edges.  
I used chocolate rocks and chocolate covered peanuts for the dirt and gravel.  I smashed up some of the chocolate covered peanuts to make it look like smaller clumps of dirt and used some large pieces to fill in the top of the cake.  
 I used the frosting to help build up the rock piles into each digger.  Chocolate frosting would have blended in a little better than the white frosting but I think it wouldn't have shown the details of the "dirt" as well.  I wish I would have had some crushed oreo cookies to fill in the white spaces.
This cake was fun to make and was pretty stress free.  I didn't try to make it even or frost it perfectly and got to dump dirt and rocks where they needed to be.  My kind of cake!
Can you tell he was excited about his birthday cake?
 The best part was watching him eat his cake with his diggers.  

Parties I'm linking up too


Photobucket   all crafts Handmade Projects & Parties ~ Add Yours! 
  kojodesigns  

7 comments:

Bless by Tone said...

I LOVE this cake - if I ever have a boy - I'm doing this...

Unknown said...

cute! My guy would love it! And I think I could handle the decorating, unlike the other round cakes I've tried... :)

Margo said...

This is sooooo cute, pinning it!

MFEO2009 said...

What a cute idea! Love the little construction theme! Following you from Show & Tell.

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

I don't have any boys but a lot of my friends so and I know they would love this. I pinned this post. I am a new follower visiting from The Girl Creative. Vicky from Mess For Less

Leslie said...

That turned out great Keri!

Lyd Stew said...

That is the first "kid" cake that not only looks fun but DELICIOUS too- so clever! You are such a fun mom! I can't believe how big he is!