September 28, 2010

Ribbon Organizer and Dry Erase Frame

A while ago, when I started making bows for my niece,  I purchased most of my ribbon online in bulk.  The prices and variety were great online but unfortunately most of them didn't come with the spools.  I've seen so many great ideas online on how to store ribbon but most of them use the spool.  I didn't come up with this idea until I started cleaning out my craft room and came across a shelf I had purchased several years ago
The shelf was in desperate need of some new paint.  It was painted a teal color but it was missing a few coats so the dark (black I think) color wasn't covered completely.  It needed a little sanding and paint and was ready to go.  
I just picked a color from my stash and then I put some antiquing glaze on it.  I found my glaze at Lowe's for around $8. I've used it on several projects and haven't put a dent in it.  A little goes a VERY long ways.  This glaze is so simple to use and adds character to painted pieces. 
I then picked up a few wooden dowels to wrap the ribbon around.  The top one as you can see, has the towel sticking out both sides.  I can easily remove ribbon spools or add new ones in.  For the middle dowel, I drilled a hole partially through both sides of the shelf with one side deeper than the other.  It isn't one that I want to remover very frequently but it has enough give on it that I can.  The final dowel is held up by ribbon that is attached to the back of the shelf.  The ribbon is looped around the dowel instead of glued so I can easily remove it.

The four dowels on top are permanent.  I just drilled partially down into the shelf and then glued the dowels down.  I have them spaced far enough apart that I can put spools on later or I can add more vertical dowels.    
The final thing I did was make a dry erase frame to go next to my ribbon holder.  I often have so many ideas in my head that I forget about most of them.  I wanted somewhere I could write down things that need done, reminders, and future projects.   
 
All I did was paint it and use the antiquing glaze on it.  I then cut some scrap fabric that fit just behind the glass and then closed it up.  Finally, I just looped some ribbon at the bottom to store the marker.

24 comments:

Anji* said...

How incredibly crafty of you! I too have a lot of ribbon not on spools, this is a neat and adaptable solution.

Unknown said...

It looks great! I love pretty organization.

Tana said...

This is sweet! I'd love to make one of those...hmm...I have a small old shelf, maybe another day though.
I'd also like to invite you, and any others, to come visit my blog at at http://littlebirdseeds.blogspot.com/, so that you can check it out, become a follower (if you’d like), and grab Hector Bat the free HTML image that I created to share with you all, so that you could decorate your blog page for Halloween. (Just click on the image and follow it to my Photobucket album then copy the HTML and paste it into you HTML gadget box.)
enjoy~

Leanne said...

They turned out great. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday until Saturday and would love for you to join the party. There's a great giveaway too. Hope to see you there.

Unknown said...

I love that. I have a dry erase I am using but it's just white behind the glass . . LOVE the fabric. well done

ShirleyC said...

I sure need one of these. Maybe one of these days.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

So pretty! I love how this turned out.

AllieMakes! said...

Oh My Word! I want one!
Thanks for the inspiration!
You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie Party!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

. said...

Wow, that is awesome! I have so got to organize my ribbons!

Michelle@Sustainably Chic Designs said...

Great idea! I sooo need to organize my ribbon collection. What a great way to do it! Thanks for sharing!

http://sustainablychicdesigns.blogspot.com/

Amy @ Chicy-Creations said...

Looks great! A great reminder that I really need to get motivated and do something with my ribbon stash.

Leanne said...

What a perfect way to organize ribbon. Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday.

The Single Nester said...

So fun. Like a piece of artwork!

Leslie said...

What a great idea! I need a ribbon holder! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Unknown said...

Your organizer not only is functunal but serves as decoration. What a great idea for ribbon!


www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

My Little Cupcake said...

Cool! I desperately need to make one for me :)

Kim said...

This is so great!! I've been trying to come up with an easy idea for storing my ribbons and this is perfect. Thanks!!

Sasha said...

Wow this is great. I might have to try this in my craft room!

~The Life of Me~

Leslie said...

I featured this on Hoo's got talent!

Crystal said...

This is such a great idea. Its pretty and functional.

Denise C said...

Fabulous! You have a great collection of ribbon!!!

I've been working on a ribbon organizer made out of an old drawer. I hope to post about it soon.

Hands Sew Full said...

THAT... is Brilliant!! I have been trying to come up with a ribbon holder that like and is functional forever! I have bought SO many different doo hickies to see if it works all to no avail. But this is fabulous! Thank yo so much for posting it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I received my first blogger award, and that I've passed it onto you 'cause I find your blog so creative.
Tana Cox
chillbabie at hotmail dot com

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! I posted earlier on my blog about needing to organize my ribbons and somebody linked me to you!
Joy
mommaskindacrafty.blogspot.com