May 28, 2009

Simple Lasagna

This is my favorite lasagna recipe of all time.  I find it really simple and it always turns out.  For my lasagnas I use whole wheat noodles instead of the white noodles like this recipe suggests.  I can't taste a difference.  I also use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese.  Personally, I think it tastes better.  If you left click on the picture below and then open in a new window/tab it will give you a larger version of the recipe.  You can tell that it is well used!
Before
After

If you can't get the picture from above here is the recipe typed out.  

Simple Lasagna

1 container (15 oz.) part skim ricotta cheese (I prefer cottage cheese)

2 ½ cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided

½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided

¼ cup parsley

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 jar (26 oz) spaghetti sauce

1 lb. ground beef, browned, drained

1 cup water

12 lasagna noodles, uncooked

1.  Preheat oven to 350F. Mix ricotta cheese, 1 ¼ cups of the mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese, parsley and egg until well blended; set aside.

2.  Pour spaghetti sauce into meat in skillet.  Pour water into empty sauce jar; cover and shake well. Pour into skillet; stir until well mixed.  (This will yield about 5 cups sauce.)

3.  Place 1 cup meat sauce on bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish.  (This way the noodles won’t stick to the pan.)

4.  Layer 3 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture and 1 cup meat sauce.  Repeat layers 2 more times.  Top with remaining 3 noodles and sauce. 

5.  Sprinkle with remaining 1 ¼ cups mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup parmesan cheese.  Cover tightly with greased aluminum foil. Bake 45 min. or until cooked through.

6.  Remove foil and bake an additional 15 min. or until bubbling.  Let stand 15 min. before cutting for easier serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to copy your lasagna recipe but I couldn't get the window to open. Will try later. Thanks.