August 16, 2009

Dish Soap Dispenser

I first got the idea to use an olive oil dispenser from Make It and Love It as a soap dispenser. At the time I didn't have a dishwasher so I needed something really convenient. I found this soap dispenser at the dollar store so when I took off the label it left a residue. So I got the idea to cover it. This craft was so easy and fast.
My dispenser is curved inward so I couldn't use paper to cover it. So I grabbed some red fabric and black ribbon from my stash. I cut the fabric to the dimensions that I wanted it (length + one inch and how much it takes to wrap around.)
I used liquid stitch to "sew" down an inch. This is so when you look through the glass you don't see the wrong side of the fabric. Put a line of Mod Podge where you want to start putting on the fabric. Slowly move around the bottle, stretching the fabric as you go.
After I had the fabric firmly attached I added some ribbon to the top and bottom. The ribbon was able to hid the cut edge of the fabric and also give it some more flair. I took a sewing tape measure and measured around my container on both the top and the bottom, plus a little extra to overlap. I used the mod podge to attach the ribbon but I had to use a little super glue on the spots that the ribbon wouldn't adhere to very well. My ribbon was pretty thick so thinner ribbon would adhere easier.
I then covered the entire thing in mod podge to finish it off. I decided to cover the glass to give it a frosted look. I covered it three times to give it a good seal.
I think it turned out pretty cute and it was so simple. The hardest part was waiting for the glue to dry. The entire project probably cost me less then $1.50.

No comments: